Rather than teaching techniques this week, we went over concepts. For example:
Closed guard: Passing Options
1) It's probably going to be tight.
2) You're going under (i.e. stack pass or double under).
3) You're going over (knee cut pass or leg thread).
Open guard: Passing Options
1) It's probably going to be from a distance.
2) Standing is a good idea.
3) Over Passes (under is not much of an option now).
a) Knee cut.
b) Mount jump.
4) Around passes
b) Judo Pass.
Then it was all full-resistance rolling, but with specifics: top fighter could pass any way they knew how, and bottom fighter could not sweep or submit. If the top fighter was successful, start over.
With skill-specific rolling like this, it's no wonder we have students like Thriller Tony, Jia, and Brian getting good at open guard in their first few months of BJJ training.